Sunday, January 20, 2008

Current Knitting

Harry demanded the front row seat of this post, so here is a stupid photograph of his current knitting.


I have no idea what he his doing, and persistent questioning from me only verified the fact that he does have a wicked right-right-right-right hook.

Thanks to the bitterly cold weather, I was finally impelled to begin a project that has been in the back of my mind since last summer. The original pattern is presented as a tablecloth, but by knitting it in Lisa Souza's luscious Petal yarn (50% silk, 50% merino,Mother of Pearl colorway), I have successfully turned the tablecloth into an afghan.


The pattern, brilliantly named Tablecloth (Tischdecke), has appeared in many German knitting magazines, almost always partnered with a smaller version. I am working with the one on page 12 of Andrea #801.

Those of you who have been here before have heard me mumble about the International Shawl, but I never gave much of an explanation. The project developed during the pre-Christmas lull, when several of us were casting about (little pun there) for something new and different to fling on our needles.

Someone, I think it was Laritza, but it might have been me, suggested a mutant shawl composed of patterns from several countries. After much consultation, LaceFreak, MissAliceFaye, Laritza, and myself agreed that the center of this shawl would be the delectable item shown on page 64 of Naoko Ichida's Knitted Lace Designs Book 2--a compilation of Niebling treasures. The center is either Japanese or German--we haven't exactly worked out the provenance yet.

Following the center will be an inner border of Laurel Leaf pattern from Victorian Lace Today. LaceFreak and I are tossing about ideas for what should follow. You can see her progress here. We are actually neck and neck, progress-wise, but she is clearly more talented at taking pictures.

As with all circular shawls, this one is difficult to photograph. By snitching the largest of Harry's eggs, I was able to capture a decent photo of the center, even though it sort of resembles a blue cabbage. The blue is actually darker than shown, but you get the idea. As of this morning, I am on row 91--well into the twisty little flower area.



And of course, there's a bit of sock knitting going on too. The munchkin-sized fleegle sock is being knitted with Mystical Creations merino in the Mother Earth colorway.


Just as a little aside, I was thumbing through some knitted mag the other day and saw an ad for Little Knits. She has 700 different yarns in her shop. I want to go live there. See the link in my sidebar for her Web page, but don't blame me if your credit card leaps out of your wallet and gloms onto your monitor.

13 comments:

Soo said...

Good looking knitting but it all whooshed out of my brain when I read '700 different yarns'.... now that's a yarn shop!

BadCatDesigns said...

Thank-you for the update. I love the afghan. The international shawl is still teasing me, so I will continue to follow your progress to see more!

Carol said...

I hope harry didn't get tooo mad at you for borrowing his snowball for the picture! Lovely lace, as usual!

Laritza said...

Very nice! I have to get mine started.......

z's momma said...

Wait, was that you wanted to live in Seattle? or at her shop?


Beautiful lace as always. Am looking forward to your progress.

Lacefreak said...

How can you knit when it's so cold where you live? The afgan looks really great and is a terrfic alterative to a tablecloth. Your International shawl is looking wonderful of course and Harry's egg really shows off the center pattern:-) You are already up to row 95 so I have to get cracking!

LittleBerry said...

I like the Afghan pattern but as yet I'm still not convinced about doing circular shawls so I will just admire yours....

The international shawl is looking lovely too and I like the colour, Harry's ball is an apt way of showing the pattern off

Knit Witch said...

Beautiful!! Love the colorway for the socks too!

fluffbuff said...

You have been just as busy as Harry.

That tablecloth pattern is lovely. I especially like the petals with the woven stitch (or whatever that stitch is called).

Judith said...

love your afghan aka tablecloth! I've lusted after that particular yarn for a long time - they're a great match. The International shawl looks intriguing. What the heck is Harry knitting and why does he look so PO'd??

700 different yarns?!?!? shoot my checking account/credit cards now!!!!!!

missalicefaye said...

The texture on the petals in the afghan flower is lovely--that's going to be one fabulous piece!

Echoing Laritza, I should really start that international shawl, shouldn't I? :)

Opal said...

What lovely lace treats! I love the idea of turning a tablecloth into an afghan!

Opal said...

You've been awarded. Check out my blog for further details. :)