Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Blame Game

The blame for this post falls directly onto the shoulders of The Akamai Knitter and LaceFreak Jane. I refuse to accept any responsibility for my actions, because it's Not My Fault.

After observing (with tears in my eyes and lust in my heart) the spindle acquisitions of these two blameful beings, I was forced, much against my will, to order a 2" Karelian birch Bosworth spindle (about 18 grams) and two ounces of 80% merino, 20% cashmere from Miss Babs.


After a few false starts, due to the fact that I had never used a top whirler, I was happy to discover that spinning is like riding a bicycle. It didn't take long before I was humming along in my personal comfort zone of 80 wpi.





After a few days of spinning plain gray, my eyeballs itched for some color. A little red dye, a little fiber...


I also ordered a bit of angora/merino top from Susan's Spinning Bunny. In a remarkable display of postal schizophrenia, the package was both refused and signed for on the same day. Somehow, it was apparently refused here and returned to Susan, but when we looked up the tracking number, the post office said it was signed for and received on 6/18.

I questioned Harry closely about this, and the best explanation we have is that Harry answered the door, whereupon the mail carrier dropped her electronic gizmo, and ran screaming back to the car with the package. Harry carefully signed for the package by stomping on the gizmo's touch screen, and then wandered over to the hammock with a cold beer.

Meanwhile, after inhaling several tablets of Xanax, the postal carrier snuck back up to the front door, retrieved her gizmo, and then screeched out of the driveway with the package beside her.

If anyone has a better explanation, I would sure love to hear about it.

26 comments:

Kitty Kitty said...

OMG... that is tiny. Good Job. The spindle is absolutely lovely.

Lorette said...

I love your Bosworth. And that lace stuff looks perfect!

Dave said...

Yummm, lovely spindle! Karelian Birch?

Are you intending to ply or to knit with that ridiculously skinny single? :-)

=Tamar said...

Cobweb lace wedding-ring shawl?

Interesting USPS situation...
I've had very odd things happen
at the post awful, even with
individual workers who are normally
helpful. I think they get one
"crazy day" every so often when
they can do weird stuff, to blow
off steam.

heidi said...

learning how to spin seems a bit dangerous to me... I mean, how would I find the time for another obsession:)

you are really an excellent photographer. I

punkin said...

Gasp! You are spinning so fine and so evenly.

KPiep said...

It's a slippery slope....

Carol said...

I am jealous of your spinning.....

Monika said...

I had that happen to me once. The package apeared about a week later in my mailbox without any explanation.

gayle said...

Your spinning takes my breath away...
Maybe you can persuade Harry not to answer the door anymore?

Susan (and SmokeyBlue in spirit) said...

Thanks for the great laugh and excellent explanation. Maybe it was Harry that wrote 'refused' in black silky marker on the package.

So the package went out again today. Now we get to see what the next episode reveals.

Laritza said...

I knew it was only a matter of time! Welcome to spinning LOL!
Now don't be blaming Harry again...I bet it was someone down the road that did it.

Laritza said...

Yes, I am a Harry fan!

Leslie said...

80 wpi? You spin finer than Harry's grandmother!

Opal said...

i accept full responsibility! now if only sheila and jonathon would give me a commission. ;-)

LittleBerry said...

beautiful spinning... but then there would never have been any question of that :o)

I'm still not finding the love with a drop spindle but have managed to return to my wheel :o)

I think Harry is jealous as he can't spin so fine a web as you can spin ;o)

Lacefreak said...

I think Harry scared the postal worker away on purpose because he is jealous of your spider-web-thin spinning and wanted to deprive you of more fiber! Your spinning is awesome and that spindle is very drool-worthy. I am going to have to get a Bosworth for myself you enabler so you have your revenge on me at least :-)

Anonymous said...

OMG! How are you able to spin such fine yarn!! Amazing!

Colette said...

Beautiful! I love the way you displayed the red fibre.

BadCatDesigns said...

Welcome to the dark side...spindles multiply like hamsters, so be warned. Right after the spindles start gathering, the beads follow...but luckily they take up less room.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I hope you will be spinning Harry Hair soon. You can knit him a sweater and he'll never be bald. Harry is a dog, right?

Batty said...

Lovely spinning! It's so thin and even. I am still working on just yarn-like.

Judith said...

wow! mighty impressive spinning! I don't think I could even *see* 80 wpi w/o very strong reading glasses. Can't wait to see what you make with this.

MoniqueB. said...

I totally agree, not your fault. "They" have to stop making you want all those pretty things.
Kudo's to your extraordinary fine spinning.
Rewarding yourself with flowers is always a good thing.
Do you already have plans for this newborn yarn?

larascreations said...

So....if this's how it works, now I guess it's my turn to blame you.....

I ordered a new Bosworth FW and fiber from Miss Babs today. All because I was drooling on my keyboard :-). Although I confess Lace Freak started it. I doubt I shall be spinning it up at 80WPI though....not quite THAT patient (or proficient)!

knittingdragonflies said...

Spindle is very pretty. Can't believe the fine yarn, looks perfect!!
Love the rose also
Vicki