Saturday, August 15, 2009

Silly Season

Traditionally, silly season is the period starting in late summer, sometimes called the Dog Days of August. History tells us that this is the time when newspapers, lacking in substantive news, publish stories about three-headed watermelons, alien-infested knitting magazines, and sightings of purple fungi growing on Capitol Hill.

I don't have anything that exciting to report, although we did have a bear wander up to the back door in search of a snack. Who knew that bears could give you puppy-dog eyes? Being of sound mind, we did not open the screen door and toss out any bear kibble. Barnabas then proceeded to strip our fig tree of fruit and then wandered up the hill to have dessert at our neighbor's plum tree.

My personal silly season began with boredom. I have been working on two interminable projects--the King Bat shawl and the Iris stole. I am sick to death of both of them, but know that if I put them aside, they will slowly mutate from WIP to UFO. I have invested too much knitting time in these two objects to condemn them to UFOness.

So, in the spirit of Silly Season, I present Douglas, the Extremely Happy Giraffe.



This charming pattern, and may others equally adorable, are available for free from Bobbi Padgett. I have an urge to work the hippo, but haven't decided what color it should be. Pink and purple hippos are so common, gray is so dull, and green seems a little too peculiar.

Douglas here will become the personal pet of Nina, the daughter of a friend living in Japan. Let's wish him bon voyage and hope he enjoys sticky rice!

24 comments:

FUZZARELLY said...

Giraffe?

Judith said...

that's great, I love the eyelashes!

sorry you are dying a slow death by repeats - chocolate? wine? perhaps to make you feel better?

Unknown said...

Ah, the loneliness of the long distance knitter! I feel for you and your WIPs. I love the Giraffe and I think a Pink Hippo would be charming :-) I hope the break will give you a renewed sense of determination!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Soo said...

Every knitter needs a silly season -- I'm knitting little hats for smoothie bottles!

yarnlot said...

A knitted centipede would be nice company for Harry... doesn't he cooperate on the King Bat anymore?

LittleBerry said...

Mmm I must admit I was a tad surprised when you said 'giraffe' My first thoughts were that it looked a bit like 'the count' from sesame street as I scrolled down.... I do like the hippo very much though!

I'm havign one of those days at the moment been so busy here and there and now I have the time I don't know what to do with it!

gayle said...

Who could resist that face? From here, your silly looks quite sensible.

Dave said...

Too cute -- love the tail. :-) He's been on my "to do" list for ... well, a long time. Will probably continue to remain on the list as I work my way through sock purgatory.

=Tamar said...

Blue hippos with flowers are from ancient Egypt, aren't they?

Leslie said...

As =Tamar says blue hippos are from ancient Egypt and can be found (at least they used to be) at the MOMA store, but not knit.

Our silliness is that we've had a family of hippos living with us forever. They're all orthodox Jews (my husband was raised conservative in his youth and taken in by his orthodox aunt when his parents died) who counsel us about spending too much and eating "Trefe". He should be the blue of the Israeli flag, wearing a yarmulke and prayer shawl. (He should also have a pocket book to hold all the coins and if you really got carried away, a name badge saying "Goniff"...) You have Harry, I have these guys.

kicki said...

everyone knows that hippos are green! or orange.

or watch the first winnie the pooh movie, and make a hippo like one of the elephants in pooh's rave dream.

Anonymous said...

This is the second time that I get envious by reading your posts. Envy is something I try to avoid, but...washing tigers and having a bear knock on your back door asking for scraps is too much for me to resist.

I hear you on the boredom. I'm going through something similar around here too.

As for the hippo, how about a psycodelic one?

heidi said...

totally adorable!

KPiep said...

The Green Woman poked me in the shoulder when she saw your post. She totally thinks we need a silly season. around here....

Opal said...

so adorable!

Lucy said...

Hallo there Fleegle!! I am blog visiting this morning (I know it has been a while but time flies when you are having fun hahaha!!) Seriously though I have been neglecting my blog and have resolved (yet again) to post more often and visit other blogs more regularly!!

Love the Giraffe!! I am still surrounded by UFOs!!Give my regards to Harry!!!!

Cheers Lucy

Lucy said...

Thank you so much - I am inspired to keep in touch with everyone!! Life's too short not to blog lol!!

Batty said...

Oh man, I love the big grin and eyebrows!

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Very happy, yes! Such a nice smile.

larascreations said...

Very cute. I shall put in for blue, blue & orange or perhaps blue-green with just a hint of purple to liven things up?

Carol said...

Cute! I love me some knitted toys

Delusional Knitter said...

Lovely giraffe. I love the yarn choice too, came out great!

MalcolmandMarcus said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I have been far too serious in my knitting. I need a silly season too! Thanks for reminding me of the lighthearted side of knitting.