Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Amazing (and Cheap) Spinning Notion--Zia!

I don't often write about tools, because there's really not much new under the sun. Let's face it, a knitting needle is a knitting needle, and everyone has an opinion about composition, pointiness, and configuration. But they are still knitting needles, you know?

However, no spindle spinner should be without a Zia. And wheel spinners might find her handy, as well. Let's take a little tour.

First of all, Zia holds your spinning projects. The units are stackable, and come in a variety of colors. I like the clear ones so I can easily see what's inside. If you don't want your project open to the air, just place everything in a plastic bag before dropping it into Zia. She's got a handle so you can tote her around.




You can use a Zia to hold your spindles, too--just turn it on its side. Put a piece of foam down on the bottom if you like. The foam will prevent your spindles from slipping through the bottom holes. I don't have any foam in this picture, but you get the idea.




You easily can store your copps in Zia. Mine are mounted on clear soda straws. And of course, you can use Zia for plying. Notice that in this picture, I ran straight knitting needles through a few straws (the only use I have for my Mother's Bernat straight needles). The silver handle is on the top side...



...If you flip the handle to the other side, it keeps the needles from sliding and also adds a bit of tension. If you need more tension, make sure the handle is on top of both the straw and the needle. You can slip a bit of eraser or non-slip pads through the points and snug them up to Zia's side to eliminate any unwanted slippage.




Best of all, Zia is not expensive!
\\

I bought mine at the Container Store, but they are also available on-line from Ace Hardware. Amazon, Organize, and many other suppliers. The one in the picture is the smallest size.  Go shopping!

24 comments:

Katy said...

This is awesome! I've been looking for a 'spindling basket' and this looks like if would suit my needs really well (and at a great price, yay!)

You have a beautiful selection of spindles in those pictures. I was going to post to ask the make on the spindle in the first picture, but I know that hook :)

I love my Spindlewood spindles.

fleegle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fleegle said...

All Spindlewoods except the two big ones. The tallest is a Spanish Peacock. The slightly shorter is a Damsel Monique from Greensleeves.

Anonymous said...

This is great - I'm a beginning spindler, so this will be on my list coming home!

gayle said...

I love cheap alternative tools! My first Lazy Kate was copp-on-knitting-needles-standing-up-in-beer-bottles. So really sort of a Drunken Kate...

Laritza said...

I might just have found the cure for mteen boxes with knitting needles sticking out of them around here. Thanks for the tip1

mimo said...

So clever! Thanks!

Batty said...

That's awesome! I had a green one when I was in college, for lugging my shampoo and assorted stuff to the shower. Never occurred to me to use it for craft supplies. Most ingenious.

Rebekah said...

Okay that is really cool! Makes me almost wish I spindled spun.

larascreations said...

Very cool. I shall have to play with some of those :-).

Oddly, however, I must mention that for a variety of reasons I tried MY mother's Bernat knitting needles with VBR and danged if I am not astounded at how perfectly suited they are! I was certain I'd need to swap needles for better points, surface, etc. I was wrong.

Lorette said...

Great idea! I'm off to shop! I love your spindles, too.

Kitty Kitty said...

I couldn't help but see the first image and think it was a Halloween post and the spindle was an eye.

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Oh, I like this Zia. Thanks for telling us about this item.

Lynne said...

Love it! I am running down to the local hardware store at lunch to look for one. Thanks for the great idea!

Carol said...

Cheap and cheerful! The best kind of tool....

KPiep said...

How did you now that I was trying to figure out that very sort of storage/project dilemna?!

LittleBerry said...

Now that's one handy gadget :o)

Lacefreak said...

What a perfect way to manage all those spindle needs! So simple yet effective :-)

Opal said...

oh that is just too clever of you! now i want one even though i don't really spindle. okay. well. i have many spindles so maybe i should. :P

knittingdragonflies said...

This really made me go ahhhhhh....
Great.
Thanks
Vicki

Anonymous said...

You have a pale carpet. . . and it's so amazingly clean. I bow to you.
-- Gretchen

heidi said...

your spindles look beautiful!!!!

thanks for your comments on my blog:)

Jasmin said...

This is totally brilliant! I'm SO passing this on!

Elysbeth said...

Great idea! Goes downstairs to see what is already in house; phooey...checks amazon.